SharePoint: Bamboo Lookup Selector other bugs

Here other bugs I have discovered related to the Bamboo Lookup Selector:

  • if you mark a field as mandatory, then you can't edit the display form (like adding web parts or customizing existing web parts)
    You can avoid this marking the field as not required, modify the form, the mark the field as required
    This is anyway very annoying, because it's time consuming and, in the end, you can forget to reset all the proper fields as mandatory
  • if you mark a fields as mandatory, if you have the Related Fields web part if your display form and you try to add related records, the refresh of parent display form throws an error
    The only solution I have found to avoid this is to market the field as not required and leave it in this way

Sorry but my evaluation of Bamboo Components is of low quality (many bugs to understand and avoid) and not coherence with SharePoint.

SharePoint: Bamboo Lookup Selector bug lists pages

The Bamboo Lookup Selector is a custom lookup field that has (or: would have...) some nice features, like for example filtered selection.

The problem is that sometimes it doesn't work, because of many bugs in the implementation.

In my case, in particular, in edit form the original value is not set correctly in the control. This causes problems to the client, of course, because he is disappointed, when editing an item, to find the values of field changed (because the control in the edit form is not initialized correctly), and has caused me to write additional JavaScript code, in the edit form, the correctly select the correct item.

Anyway, for future reference, here are the bugs lists pages:

Bamboo Calendar for SharePoint: a problem with permissions...

Today I have worked with Bamboo Calendar for SharePoint.

It is nice, its main features are:

  • possibility to merge 2 or more calendars
  • possibility to give colors based on metadata

It has two main drawbacks:

  • it is slow; not slow, it is really very slow;
  • it is not consistent with permission in the SharePoint object model.

 

About the last point, I explain here: I have an Intranet site where public visitors don't have read access on the site, but only on some lists and/or folders and of course pages.

If I use the OOTB calendar, everything works fine. But with Bamboo Calendar, I need to give read access to the site and read access to the list, even if I want to get data from a folder only.

This is terrible, because it changes all the permission model I had prepared (and that was fitting the reality very well, while now I had to break inheritance in almost all the lists, to protect them) and is less secure because new content will have, by default, public access.

Btw I tought it could be a problem of asynchronous calls (maybe AJAX call when changing month) but nope.

 

My final evaluation is: not so good, and I would avoid using it, unless explicitly requested by the client (as in this case).